3.18.2009

Beef Up Your Saturday Morning Pancakes

I was instantly puzzled in the store when my boyfriend stopped and raved about Aunt Jemima's Buckwheat Pancake mix. He droned on and on in excitement about how he used to eat them as a kid and he thought they stopped making the mix. I humored his excitement while he put the box in his cart. "I'll have to make you some real pancakes," he said. I wrinkled my nose. I didn't want to try them... they looked all dark and heavy in the picture. I voiced my concerns. "You don't eat them straight up". I still didn't want to try them, but I was a bit curious.






The morning came when he decided to make them. Fine, I'll try them. I took a bite. They weren't heavy, they had substance, but they were still light and not chewy. There was a bit of sweet nuttiness to them, and the color was alluring. Wow, these were actually really good. And healthy. I can't wait to try them with blueberries in them. It seems like it would be a match made in Heaven.

Doug's Buckwheat Pancake Mix:
1 Box Aunt Jemima's Buckwheat Pancake Mix
1 Box Aunt Jemima's Original Pancake Mix

Follow the directions on the box for the amount of pancakes you desire. Mix half Buckwheat and half Original to equal your desired amount. Add milk to desired consistency.




I'm not a big syrup fan, so I chose to smother mine in fresh strawberries mashed with sugar and chilled in the refrigerator for at least a half an hour. The sugar mingles with the strawberries and enhances their flavor. Yum! Try these on your next pancake morning.

5 comments:

  1. That does sound good... Chris makes his pancakes from scratch, and they are heavenly also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the mix solely for the convenience of it. Just add milk and you have breakfast! We make our own waffles though, and that is another entry...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same feelings about buckwheat mix. Maybe I'll have to try it. I usually make waffles on Saturdays, but I should probably spring for the pancakes sometime. When you do the waffles...I have a secret ingredient or two for you...simply Heavenly!!! :) I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just ran across your blog! Where did you manage to get the box of mix? What store?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Fabulous Pants! Looks like you're located in California! As I understand it, Aunt Jemimah Buckwheat is hard to come by and I had to go to a small local supermarket to find it. It can also be found in select stores of a local chain called Meijer. There are entire forums on the internet devoted to this beloved mix, but I haven't found where to buy it online yet. If you are reeeeeaaaallly hankering for it, I could ship some to you.

    ReplyDelete